There are numerous reasons as to why humans start having hiccups. It can be physical or some emotional reasons. When the actual irritation happens in the nerve connecting the brain to the diaphragm then hiccups start.
Some common causes of getting hiccups include eating in excess or eating too quickly, feeling nervous or excited, drinking carbonated beverages or alcohol, having stress, a sudden change in temperature, or air swallowed while sucking on candy or chewing gum.
However, if you start having hiccups, there is nothing to worry about as these home remedies are worth a try. Though these remedies will give relief depends upon the body to body:
- Hold your breath and swallow three times
- Breathe into a paper bag but stop before you get lightheaded!
- Drink a glass of water quickly
- Have a teaspoon of sugar
- Gargle with water
- Pulling on your tongue
- Rubbing the back of your neck.
- Getting scared- A sudden scare may help you in stopping those hiccups, such as someone suddenly come in front of you or any of your fear turn out to be true.
- Laughing spontaneously- Some researchers say laughter is the best medicine. Maybe someone else hiccupping can get you laughing.
- Hug your knees- Make a position where you have to sit down in a comfortable place. Bring your knees to your chest and hold them that position for two minutes.
- Compress your chest- Lean or bend forward to compress your chest, which puts pressure on your diaphragm which will surely affects.
- Eat a spoonful of honey- After putting honey on tongue make sure you allow it to dissolve in your mouth a bit before swallowing.
- Suck on a lemon- After eating a lemon, rinse out your mouth with water to protect your teeth from the citric acid.
- Put a drop of vinegar on your tongue- Put a drop of vinegar on tongue and let it stay for 15 minutes.