PUNJAB GOVERNMENT HIKES EX GRATIA AMOUNT FOR NEXT OF KIN OF MARTYRED AND DISABLED DEFENCE PERSONNEL
Chandigarh, July 30:
In a path breaking initiative aimed at providing financial assistance to the Next of Kin (NOK) of martyrs and disabled soldiers, during various operations, the Punjab Government has notified manifold increase in the ex gratia amount.
Divulging details, a spokesperson of the Defence Services Welfare Department said that the total amount to be paid to NOK of martyred soldiers has been increased to Rs. 50 Lakh. In case of married martyr soldier Rs. 35 Lakh will be paid as ex-gratia, Rs. 10 Lakh as Additional relief to parents and Rs. 5 Lakh as cash in lieu of plot. In case the martyr was unmarried , the NOK will be paid Rs. 45 Lakh as ex-gratia and Rs 5. lakh as cash in lieu of plot.
The spokesperson further stated that amount to be paid to disabled soldiers in various operations has been increased fivefold, where soldiers with 76 percent to 100 percent disability will be given Rs. 20 Lakh, with 51 percent to 75 percent disability will be given Rs.10 Lakh and with 25 percent to 50 percent disability will be given Rs. 5 Lakh.
The spokesperson also added that these increased rates would be applicable to the battle casualties with effect from June 15, 2020. The Finance Department has also approved to disburse 10 percent of the total amount of ex gratia (Rs. 5 Lakh) at the time of Bhog Ceremony and the remaining 90 percent would be given to the Next of Kin after receiving Battle Casualty Report from the Integrated Headquarters of the Ministry of Defence (MoD).