People often think to substitute sugar with jaggery and honey because of its nutritional value. Jaggery is commonly known as ‘Gur’ in India. It is an unrefined sugar product which contains traces of iron, fibre and minerals along with good calories for health.
However, Jaggery and white sugar contain the same calories which means replacing sugar with jaggery won’t have any huge difference on your weight loss.
Both sugar and jaggery are made from sugarcane juice but their making is different. Sugar syrup is treated with charcoal to provide a transparent look to sugar. At the end of the industrial process, sugar is left with only plain sucrose. However, jaggery does not go through such a process. Therefore it has more nutritional value.
Here are 8 benefits of replacing sugar with jiggery:
- Improves digestive system: It helps in better digestion as most people eat jaggery after the meal. On the other hand, sugar levels boost immunity.
- Greater nutritional value: Jaggery contains vitamin B and minerals, including zinc, calcium and much more. These micronutrients have many nutritional and medicinal aspects.
- Prevents anaemia: Jaggery is quite rich in iron and folate and it helps in the prevention of anaemia.
- Helps at times of Cold: Jaggery can even help alleviate the symptoms of common cold and flu.
- Detox the liver: Jaggery acts as a detox as it helps in cleansing the liver by flushing out toxins from the body.
- Eases menstrual pain: Jaggery can help as a natural remedy for menstrual problems. The sweetness of jaggery releases relief in cramps and anxiety.
- Relieves joint pain: Eating jaggery can provide you with much-needed relief from pain in your joints. It is claimed that drinking a glass of milk with jaggery daily can help strengthen the bones.
- Controls blood pressure: Since jaggery is rich in minerals like potassium and sodium, it plays an important role in the maintaining a balance of blood pressure